We have created this policy in order to demonstrate our commitment to preserving your privacy and safeguarding any personal details you provide to us. This policy explains how we collect and use your information.
By using our website, or by providing us with your personal information, you automatically agree to this policy. We may update the policy from time to time, so please check it regularly.
Information that we collect
If you purchase a book from our website, subscribe to our newsletter, or become involved with us in some other way, we may collect personal information about you such as:
- Your name, address, email address or telephone number
- Orders and purchases made by you, including method of payment. We do not retain credit card information
- Your attendance at AdVL events
- How long you have been a member of AdVL (if relevant) and any direct contact you may make
- Your (encrypted) password if you set up an account with us
- Your online browsing history on our website
How we use the information that we collect
We may use your information in order to:
- Send you the books you purchase from AdVL
- Contact you about the books you have purchased and to advise about despatch and delivery
- Tell you about forthcoming titles and events
- Manage your online account
- Ensure we communicate with you in accordance with your contact preferences
- Provide you with the opportunity to review our products and services
- Carry out research to better understand your views on AdVL
From time to time we will send you marketing communications as we believe we have a legitimate interest in doing so. However, we will always offer you a clear and simple means of choosing your preferences and opting out of communications, should you wish to do so.
When we may share your information
So that we can provide you with our books and services, we have to share some of your information with trusted third parties. These include our marketing email specialists, Mailchimp; the payment processors, banks and clearing houses that process your payments; our warehousing and despatch company J&J; and the delivery companies we use to send our books to you. When we organise events, we also sometimes need to use external agencies to manage the event organisation.
We will only send to third parties the information that is necessary for the stated purpose. If we do this, we will not give those individuals or organisations any rights to use your personal information (or to contact you) except in accordance with our instructions. The only times we will pass your details would be:
- To enable providers to fulfil AdVL orders
- To enable organisations within the payment card industry to prevent online fraud
- Where we are required to do so by any law or court order.
- Despatch of books is managed by James & James eCommerce Fulfilment Ltd and its distribution partners, who are contracted by us to manage any necessary data supplied to them in order to fulfil orders in accordance with worldwide GDPR regulations.
Please note that we will not pass on your information to third parties for purposes other than to deliver AdVL services.
How long will we keep this information about you?
We will only keep information about you for as long as we need to. We make sure that any companies that process your information on our behalf do the same.
The length of time may depend on the reason for which we are processing the information and the type of information being processed. Generally, we will retain information for a period of 7 years after the last interaction with the user. This is to ensure that we have proper records and a clear audit trail. We will carefully and securely dispose of any information after the retention period has expired.
In the event that you ask us to stop sending you marketing communications, we will retain certain details, such as your name, to help us ensure that you are not contacted again. If you ask us to destroy your information, we will usually do so within 30 days where we are able to do so and we do not need to hold the information for our records.
Where is my information stored?
The information that we collect from you will primarily be stored on the servers of our domain partner 1&1 IONOS Ltd, a company registered in the UK No. 03953678.
When providing payment details through the Stripe payment service, those details may be transferred outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) to its US headquarters. Stripe is accredited under the EU-US Privacy Shield, which means that information from Europe can lawfully be transferred to it. More information about this transfer can be found at https://support.stripe.com/questions/stripe-and-european-information-transfers.
If you are opting to providing payment via Paypal, please regards related Paypal Privacy Statement with regards to storing information: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full
Your rights in relation to your information
Under the terms of information protection legislation, you have the following rights when using this website:
- In certain circumstances you have a right to require us to stop processing your personal information in a particular way.
- You have the right to request that your personal information is erased from our information base in certain circumstances.
- You have a right to ask for a copy of the personal information we hold about you. If you want access to your personal information, please send a description of the personal information you want to see to [email protected] We shall then get in touch and ask for proof of identity, in order to arrange
- We also want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. Please let us know if your details change. You may also ask us to correct or remove personal information which is inaccurate.
- You can also opt-out of receiving all or some of our non-Membership marketing communications or request that we stop processing personal information about you for certain purposes at any time by contacting us [email protected]
- For more information, we suggest that you consult guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Managing the information we have about you
We are committed to ensuring that:
- When we ask another organisation to provide services to us that involve sharing your personal information, for example our warehouse, we will always make sure they have appropriate security measures in place.
- If you would like to change our use of your personal information, you can do this easily. Please contact us by emailing [email protected] or by managing your subscription status in your account pages on the AdVL website.
If you should be unhappy with the way in which we have handled your personal information please contact us [email protected] You are also entitled to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. For further information see the Information Commissioner’s guidance at https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information
FACEBOOK EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You are providing your information to Académie du Vin Library Ltd and not to Facebook. The information you provide will be used to subscribe you to the Académie du Vin Library email newsletter communications.
One winner will be chosen at random. One entry per person. By signing up to the email newsletter between 13th March 2023 and 30th March 2023 via Facebook you are submitting your entry. Competition open to new subscribers only. Competition ends 12pm BST on 30th March 2023 and prize draw will be conducted immediately after. Competition open to UK residents only. The entrant(s) must be aged 18 or over. Winners will be notified by email from [email protected]
Internet browsers normally accept cookies by default. However, it is possible to set an internet browser to reject cookies.